Colwall Tunnel actually refers to a pair of tunnels which run through the Malvern Hills. The first was constructed between 1856 and 1861, and remained open until 1926, when a more modern partner was built alongside it. The old tunnel was later repurposed during the Second World War to act as a storage depot for Admiralty munitions. The second tunnel was built between 1924 and 1926 and remains in use to this day. Spanning 1,567 yards, the Colwall tunnels remain some of the longest tunnels on the British railway network.
The eastern portal of the two tunnels lies around a short bend south of the old Malvern Wells (GWR) station, while the western mouth of the tunnels emerges shortly before the present-day Colwall station. This bend makes the eastern tunnel entrance difficult to see from anywhere except the hills directly above it, or a public footpath which cuts under the line just before the tunnel entrance.
This selection of pictures shows what the site looked like during the heyday of GWR steam.
This lovely shot of the Colwall Tunnel shows a GWR 'Cathedrals Express' train from Hereford entering Malvern Wells on its way to Great Malvern, Worcester, Gloucester and London.
|'Down Goods near Malvern Wells (GW)'. Used courtesy of Ben Brooksbank via Creative Commons.|
|'Approaching the Malvern end of Colwall tunnel, viewed from a train', 24/10/1964.|
|'Malvern Wells with 15.15 Paddington - Hereford, 30.6.1965'|
|'4161 Malvern Wells with (18.24 or 18.45) Ledbury - Worcester, 28.6.1965'|
|'D7050 Malvern Wells with Hereford - London train, 15.6.1966'|
|'34046 Malvern Wells 1Z38 ret. RTC charter 17.49 Worcester Shrub Hill - Bristol, 17.5.14'|