The final stop of the old Midland line from Malvern was Ashchurch, a village 2 miles east of Tewkesbury. Ashchurch was once an important junction station, linking the Malvern-Ashchurch branch, the Gloucester-Birmingham main line and the 'Gloucester Loop' line, a route which ran east through Evesham and Redditch before rejoining the main Birmingham line at Barnt Green.
The Tewkesbury platform of the original Ashchurch station was built in 1864 and was demolished along with the rest of the site after the station closed permanently in 1971. A new station was opened in 1997, albeit under the name 'Ashchurch for Tewkesbury'. This station occupies some of the original location, although the Tewkesbury line is completely gone and all that remains of the Evesham loop is a quarter-mile long spur which connect the MoD's vehicle storage warehouses with the railway network. In any case, it is still possible to catch a direct train from Great Malvern to Ashchurch, albeit through Worcester.
These pictures show Ashchurch Station during the 1950s, and come courtesy of R.M. Casserley. The station was a bizarre agglomeration of chords, crossings and sidings, with an odd wedge-shaped station serving the station's three lines. A similar style of building can still be seen today at Barnt Green, in north Worcestershire.
|41061 approaches Ashchurch from the north. Note the peculiar flat level crossing where the Tewkesbury line crossed the Birmingham main line to join the Evesham Loop.|
|42326 crossing the Birmingham Main Line.|
|The view north-west along the Tewkesbury platform. The complex in the background is the Dowty Company's private sidings, which lay to the north of Ashchurch station. The company made aeronautical components and mining equipment.|
|The steel passenger footbridge at Ashchurch.|